Friday, May 25, 2012

Importance of Family

Three generations of family together at
my wife's commencement ceremony

 

As we get comfortable with the life we make for ourselves, it becomes easy to take for granted those who are around us the most.

Early on we spend time searching for who we hope will be our life-long mate. In the beginning, we give them our attention and time necessary to make them want to be with us.

Then we start a family and hope to raise our contribution of the next generation to be positive, caring, intelligent members of society, who have a better chance of success than we have had.

My wife & I sharing an important milestone
Over time, it is easy to get caught up in the "stuff" that is life. Our jobs, our worries, our own personal successes and our "punch in the gut" failures can overshadow the things that are really important.

Time. Love. Family. Those are the things that are really important and each can rarely be replaced. Take a moment to hold your family close. They will always be with you when things matter most.

“I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.”
Pablo Neruda, 100 Love Sonnets

I love you my dear Rhonda with all my heart. You are what gives me the courage to be who I have become.

No comments:

Post a Comment